The Anaheim Ducks ended up two men down after a failed Coach’s Challenge for goaltender interference. 

Anaheim’s Sam Carrick crashed the goal crease, pushing Penguins defenseman Erik Karlsson into goaltender Tristan Jarry. Ross Johnston appeared to score on a one-timer from the slot, with Carrick and Karlsson both still in the crease. 

Referee Frederick L’Ecuyer immediately waved off the goal.



The Anaheim Ducks, though, opted to challenge. While rare, it is possible for the attacking team to challenge a goaltender interference call on the ice in hopes of getting the call overturned and the goal allowed.  Only two such goals were allowed last season. 

The Ducks were not so fortunate, as the NHL’s Situation Room reviewed the play and quickly confirmed the call on the ice.  No goal Ducks. 

From the Situation Room: 

Video review confirmed that Anaheim’s Sam Carrick impaired Tristan Jarry’s ability to play his position in the crease prior to Ross Johnston’s goal.

The decision was made in accordance with Rule 69.1 which states, in part, that “Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal.”

Rule 69.1 also includes the following relevant section:

If a defending player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by an attacking player so as to cause the defending player to come into contact with his own goalkeeper, such contact shall be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, and if necessary a penalty assessed to the attacking player and if a goal is scored it would be disallowed.

Carrick pushed Karlsson in, with their combined presence enough to prevent Jarry for playing his position.

Not only was the goal still disallowed, but the Ducks were shorthanded due to the failed challenge.

Anaheim head coach Greg Cronin argued the call enough to get ejected from the game, picking up a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct, giving the Penguins a 5-on-3 power play. 

Evgeni Malkin scored moments later to cut the Ducks lead to 2-1.

The Anaheim Ducks went on to win the game 4-3 with their head coach in the locker room.  Referees were Frederick L’Ecuyer (#17) and Brandon Blandina (#39), with linespersons C.J. Murray (#68) and Ryan Daisy (#81).