A gloveless Mike Smith appealed to the officials after the Edmonton Oilers’ goaltender was beaten by the Avs’ Nathan MacKinnon.

Smith lost his catching glove in a collision with Colorado’s Nazem Kadri and Oilers blueliner Duncan Keith at the top of the crease.  The glove slid into the faceoff circle, with defenseman Brett Kulak pushing it back towards the net.

The Edmonton goalie attempted to put his glove back on as the puck moved across to Avs forward Nathan MacKinnon, who beat Smith to put the Avalanche up 4-0.



The Edmonton netminder gestured with his bare hand, appealing to the official.  Not that there’s much he could do.

Play does not stop when a goaltender loses his glove.  It’s not even an automatic whistle when a goalie loses his helmet; it depends who has the puck.  Here’s the helmet rule from 9.6:

When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his team has control of the puck, play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his helmet and/or face mask.

When the opposing team has control of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee.

That’s only for a goalkeeper’s mask. There’s no similar rule for a goaltender’s blocker or catching glove.

Rule 14.1 touches on stoppages – or, more accurately, continuations – for equipment issues.

Play shall not be stopped nor the game delayed by reasons of adjustments to clothing, equipment, skates or sticks.

No delay shall be permitted for the repair or adjustment of goalkeeper’s equipment. If adjustments are required, the goalkeeper shall leave the ice and his place shall be taken by the substitute goalkeeper immediately.

Even an unstrapped leg pad or broken skate would require play to continue, at least while the opponent maintains possession with an imminent scoring opportunity.  Just ask Vancouver’s Thatcher Demko.

Lost glove? Play on!

Nice of MacKinnon to at least shoot blocker side.  Smith avoided injury on the play, but couldn’t avoid giving up the goal.

Colorado won the game 4-0, taking a 2-0 series lead in the Western Conference Final.  Referees for the game were Dan O’Rourke (#9) and Frederick L’Ecuyer (#17), with linesmen Steve Barton (#59) and Ryan Daisy (#81). Gord Dwyer (#19) and Devin Berg (#87) were the standby officials.