Kyle Turris scored midway through the third period of Tuesday night’s game to give the Senators a 3-2 lead.

Only, he didnt.

The puck went in – barely, though Flyers defenseman Nick Grossmann made an amazing effort to get his skates in the way.  More importantly, Grossman got his body in the way of the overhead camera.

While all logical conclusions based on the laws of physics point to the fact that the puck had to have crossed the line — Grossmann’s skate was over the goal line and the puck bounced off the back of his skate —  the video replay was officially inconclusive.  There’s no definitive shot that undeniably proves the puck went in, so no goal.

From the NHL:

At 9:27 of the third period in the Senators/Flyers game, the Situation Room initiated a video review to further examine a play at the Philadelphia net. Video review was inconclusive in determining whether Kyle Turris’ shot completely crossed the goal line therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no goal Ottawa.

Former referee Kerry Fraser also weighed in via TSN:

While it is more probable than not that the puck crossed the goal line, the fuzzy depth perception that we gain once the puck deflected off Grossmann’s left skate and went airborne provides a lack of conclusive evidence that is required to allow a goal through video review. The men in the NHL’s Situation Room cannot make their decision based on any “logical assumptions” but must clearly see the puck enter the net. Even with various camera angles that are available, that process is made much more difficult once the puck leaves the ice surface and takes flight.

The overhead camera shot was obstructed by the huge body of Nicklas Grossmann. Referee Devorski’s sightline gained from behind the net was obstructed by the snowshoe-sized skate worn by Grossmann. The steeper angle provided by the front camera shot did not allow for conclusive evidence that the puck completely crossed the goal line once it flipped through the air. Grossmann’s skate was angled back from tight to the post inside the goal line but moving as the puck deflected off his left skate. At that point, with the puck in the air, the overhead camera would be the only one that could provide evidence if the puck completely crossed the line. Some small element of doubt was created with this angle as the puck flipped in the air. Therefore the ruling had to be “inconclusive.”

Fraser went on to challenge the referees to be more mindful of their positioning.   Had referee Paul Devorski been positioned in front of  the goal line, he’d have had a better view from ice level and likely would’ve seen that the puck was over the line.

The Flyers rallied after this call, scoring two goals in 23 seconds en route to a victory.

I’m surprised Philly beat writer Sam Carchidi didn’t award the video crew one of the three stars of the game for this one…