The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Alexis Pépin of the Val-d’Or Foreurs for 3 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on October 1st against the Victoriaville Tigres.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
– The puck was shot towards the opposing team’s goaltender.
– He redirected the puck to his left toward the boards near the blue line.
– The Victoriaville player recovered it and avoided a defenceman that was heading towards him to check him.
– While the opponent was making a pass to a teammate, the player at fault was back-checking and headed towards him to check him.
– The player at fault hit the opponent’s head with his shoulder from the blind side.
– He had one hand on his stick and the continuity of the movement shows the force of the impact.
– His opponent was not injured on the play
– This was not the first offense of the player at fault
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.