The annual Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament is going into its 17th year, with eight National Hockey League teams taking part. Once again, the officiating for the tournament will come from the ECHL.
The fourteen on-ice officials set to work this year’s tourney have either spent time in the ECHL or will be joining the league for the 2015-16 season.
ECHL Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Ernst and ECHL Officiating Development Coach Mike Pearce will handle all the scheduling and oversight for the on-ice crews.
“The Detroit Red Wings, along with Ann Reeves and her staff at Center Ice, do an outstanding job of hosting this tournament each year, and it is an honor for the ECHL and our staff to be working such a well-respected tournament as Traverse City,” Ernst said.
“It will provide our officials excellent experience going into the season as these players are competing for roster spots with their respective NHL clubs. It also allows me and Mike to be able to spend time teaching our officials as well as spend time with them prior to our training camp and season which is invaluable.”
Traverse City Tournament Referees
- Kenny Anderson – ECHL (3rd season); USHL, SPHL
- Peter MacDougall – ECHL (3rd season), AHL (2nd season)
- Mike Mullen – ECHL (1st season); AHL (2nd season)
- Tyler Puddifant – ECHL (3rd season)
- Mike Sheehan – ECHL (2nd season as referee); ECHL/AHL (3 seasons as linesman)
- Andy Thackaberry – ECHL (5th season), AHL (2nd season). USA Development Program.
- Stephen Thomson – ECHL (2nd season)
- Jeremy Tufts – ECHL (2nd season); USHL (2 seasons), SPHL (2 seasons)
Traverse City Tournament Linesmen
- Ryan Daisy – ECHL (5th season, 3 Kelly Cup Finals), AHL (5th season)
- Brent Hooks – ECHL (1st season), worked last season in SPHL
- Tyler Landman – ECHL (2nd season), AHL (2nd season)
- Ryan Madsen – ECHL (2nd season), also working USHL and SPHL
- Shaun Morgan – ECHL (4th season, 3 Kelly Cup Finals), AHL (4th season), CHL (1 season)
- Pat Richardson – ECHL (3rd season, 1 Kelly Cup Final); AHL, USHL
Referees Peter MacDougall and Kenny Anderson worked last year’s tournament, as did linesmen Tyler Landman, Ryan Madsen, Shaun Morgan, and Pat Richardson.
“A lot of these guys,” said Ernst prior to last year’s event, “this will be the first hockey they’ve refereed since the spring. What we do — it’s no different than during the season. We’re gonna work with them, review game situations, and see if we can help them.”
“The tournament also helps us get to know guys, too,” Ernst added, “since we’re with them for four or five days. We get to spend time with guys we might not know as well and see how they are [off the ice]. It really brings the guys together. It’s a great tournament for exposure for our league and our officials, and great for their experience as well.”
The Traverse City Prospects Tournament runs September 11-15 at Center ICE in Traverse City, Michigan, with the Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues all participating.